New USB version, USB 3.1 was released on 31 July 2013, increases the data signaling rate to 10 Gbit/s.
- Delivers 10 Gbit/s USB data signaling rate
* 2x improvement over current USB 3.0 - 5 Gbit/s data rate
- Improved data encoding for more efficient data transfer leading to higher through-put and improved I/O power efficiency
- backward compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0.
- Works with both existing 5 Gbps and new 10 Gbps USB 3.0 hubs and devices, as well as USB 2.0 products.
- As of December 2014, Alt Mode implementations include DisplayPort 1.3 and MHL 3.0; other serial protocols like PCI Express and Base-T Ethernet are possible.